Monday, March 25, 2013

Looking for a good article on best practices in Reading?


So I've been researching best practices in reading and came across this article:

Newman, R. E. (1966, March). The kindergarten reading controversy. Elementary English, 43,
235-239, 298).
This article seeks to answer the dilemma every kindergarten teacher faces when asked if they teach reading.   Should reading be taught in kindergarten and furthermore, if it is appropriate, how does one go about teaching reading through best practice?  Even though the article is over 40 years old, Newman suggests the most inner need to create excited lifelong readers as young as possible so they can enjoy and discover their world through text.  He mentions that about the time students finally obtain the necessary skills of good reading and they begin to lose interest in reading.  Giving them the skills they need as early as we can puts the power of reading in their hands so they can further study, research and read about things that interest them.  Reading this article sparked an interest in how I see my role in teaching young readers.  Instruction should be age appropriate building on student’s natural curiosity as students show signs of readiness.  I think this is a big key and can get easily lost in the rigor and demands that are being pushed down each year.  

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca- Your article on best practices in reading sounds just like what you were looking for! I hope that it helps guide you in the direction that you want to go in your classroom. It is ALWAYS a struggle to figure out what is age appropriate for our children in our classes. I agree with Newman when he states that we need to create the excitement in our young learners to help discover their world through text. I also like how the author pointed out that instruction should be age appropriate and spark their curiosity. On a personal note…your blog looks AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your job is so crucial Rebecca! You're so setting the groundwork for all the teachers the students will see over time. We are constantly reminded at the high school level to get the kids reading a little bit everyday, and I know I assume that they have a solid background by the time they get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support and confidence Lisa & Rick! I'm finally finding my way on how to best teach reading. I hope I'm doing it in a way that drives students to want to read for pleasure and enjoyment as a life long reader.
    I often hear or see expectations changing in our field just because kids CAN do it but I try to take a step back and ask SHOULD they be doing it on a developmentally appropriate level. Can child development change as much as our curriculum and standards change??? Food for thought...

    ReplyDelete