Thursday, March 21, 2013

Thoughts on Intention and overall experiences of SMU


I don’t know about you but sometimes I find it difficult to stay positive.  I find the jobs of wife, mother, teacher, etc to be overwhelming at times and I wonder what I can do to help myself stay positive and happy.  Going through the St. Mary’s program has not only helped increase my knowledge and teaching ability but it has also urged me to look closer at my inner self and how I relate to others and the world around me.  I’ve been reading about gratitude, openness, and intention and all three keep telling me to think of the positive and to seek out opportunities to help show and model the important things I want to have in life.  Well, I can’t say I’m doing superb in this area.  I still am critical of myself, quick to judge and eager to see and have things done my way.  I’m learning to be grateful for the things I have (family, health, friends, a job, home, etc) and to keep calm amongst the storm.  I’m learning to seek out others opinions and to try new things.  It’s scary at first but I’d never know the rewards and benefits if I didn’t give it a try.  I’m learning to lean on others just a bit more than I have in the past and not only is it benefiting my sanity but it’s building stronger relationships with those around me.  It may take a village to raise a child, but I believe it takes a community to support and sustain ALL.  I’m thankful to those around me who show kindness, caring and love.  I couldn’t do it without you!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I really appreciate your honesty about your struggles to juggle everything and still stay positive and happy. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one who can’t pull it together or find the balance between family and work. It’s reassuring that others do fell this way too. I would agree that it’s scary to try new things and to lean on others in times of need. But sometimes we need that support from others and it can benefit us in the long run. I like what you said about it taking a community to support and sustain us all. This rings true for me – that is what we are – a community supporting and sustaining each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have totally been aware of your openness to building community with all of us over the past months. I have known you for many years and I feel like I am finally getting to know the “real” Rebecca. I am so happy we are studying and playing together. I can feel you changing and becoming more intentionally open to new ideas, even if they are really challenging your beliefs. If there is one thing I wish for you it would be for you to be more kind to yourself. You are such an amazing teacher. You are kind, soft spoken, creative, and patient. I see you so differently than the way you describe seeing yourself. Being in this program together was no coincidence, we were meant to become closer friends and teachers. Ones who can discuss ideas, practices, and theory as well as go out have “girl” time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, reading your comments bring tears to my eyes. What would I do without you two? I also am enjoying this opportunity to get to know you better Beth on a personal level. I love all our "team building" activities we've put together this year to support and sustain ourselves. Thanks for you compliments and comforting words. We know how to keep things real!

    ReplyDelete