Monday, June 10, 2013

How does ATTENTION affect my life, my work, and who I want to be?

Houston and Sokolow state that “increasing the attention you give to your intentions increases the likelihood that they will actually become a reality.”  I don’t know why but it’s a bit hard for me to come to terms with the idea that my thoughts and ideas will actually become my life.  My intentions are to be a better wife, mother, teacher, friend, disciple, etc., but do my actions actually reflect my intentions?  It’s not always the case.  And in terms of attention, do I spend my time thinking, doing and being the person I want to be?  Again, the answer is no.  I try and may think a lot about it but often times I get easily frustrated and angry.  However, if I am to become an enlightened leader, I need to THINK, DO, and BE according to the ideas and philosophies of Houston and Sokolow.  I think that would make a great t-shirt logo and in fact the article discussed the power of imagery and symbols.  Maybe that will be my new motto in life!  I like it.

So what can I do to get there?  Well, first I need to ask myself if my attentions are in compliance with my intentions.  When I made my list, I could see that I spend too much time focusing on material objects and cleanliness.  I’m easily bothered by messes and constantly “want” things.  I know it is not right and realize now how much attention I give to those areas.  My intentions lie within my family, my relationships, my faith and my job.  They are my big rocks but I still get easily thrown with the small rocks and have a hard time prioritizing because it all seems so important.  Second, I need to be present in the moment.  I need to focus on the now, be mindful of the future but not lose the precious gifts and moments of today that I often take for granted.  Next, I need to be quick to think and not respond especially when I’m at work and talking with friends.  I often discuss the negative and can become a complainer.  My intention is to be a thoughtful thinker and respond appropriately or maybe not even at all.  Last, I need to continue to build my self-talk of happy and positive thoughts.  If it is true that my world is a reflection of my thoughts and ideas, then I have no excuse and no reason to complain.  I need to get in the driver seat and take charge so that others will see where I’m headed and begin to give their attention to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment