Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Differentiating Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

Differentiation is incorporating different learning styles and multiple intelligences.  I created a tic-tac-toe board including a variety of activities to follow up on our chicka chicka story and letter study. 
Listening –listen to story at listening center
Hearing –Chicka Chicka chant, flannel board retell
Kinesthetic –alphabet matching game, letter & mitten dauber match, flannel board retell, clothespin match
Kinesthetic & Movement –create a b “bear” and find hidden b words around the room
Writing –abc dot-to-dot or write alphabet

I think I have room for improvement as I try to incorporate more into the multiple intelligences.  Our art center also included a variety of different mediums for children to explore the Chicka story and letters.


The experience made me realize that tic-tac-toe boards require lots of preparation and time explaining to kids how to do the activities.  I knew it would take more than one day to complete the activities so I adjusted and let them work on this for two center rotations.  The students typically wanted to do what their peers were doing but maybe it motivated them to try something they wouldn’t have before; thus, helping them build their repertoire of learning styles/intelligences.  What I loved about this was watching kids work together.  If I only had enough supplies for three kids, they automatically decided to work together.  If it seemed like a big project like the coconut matching, the found a friend to help them.  I love that they just know it is okay to work with a peer and help each other out.  I also feel they were more excited to do the activities because they had the choice in deciding.  And of course, I had a few over-achievers do ALL nine activities!


3 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    What a cool idea! I like how the kids were given choices but the activities vary in difficulty. It's a great lesson on problem solving as well. Did you require that they do all the activities on the board or just 3 to get a tic-tac-toe? Was all of this just at one center or did they have to move between a few centers? I am curious if I could incorporate something similar into my 1st grade centers:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Rebecca, what a fun way to teach letters and sounds. I love seeing the Tic Tac Toe board idea in kindergarten. I use to use them with the 4th graders I serviced and am astonished that you made it work with the younger kids. Were they actually able to handle working independently? Do you plan on making more for different units as the year goes on? I would think once the work of creating them is done, you could build up more and more for other units. I would be interested in developing some to use with Title 1 kids. Maybe we could work together to get more as the year goes on? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose to split the activities into two centers so they worked on it both when they were at the green and yellow center. This was a little confusing so maybe I could try two rotations at one center. However, the problem is having to explain NINE activities for one center. Splitting it up into two centers saved some time on directions...not sure what the best answer is plus it is a lot of prep!

    ReplyDelete