Thursday, December 26, 2013

Classroom Management: Marzano Style

1.      Carrying out disciplinary actions – I started changing my language from “take a break” to  “Think Time” instead.  I love the change in language and its been a less invasive way to guide them in their behavior changes.  I created a simple debrief form stating what behavior they “will” do as a kindergartner as well as giving them a place to draw a picture.  The debrief form is simple but still requires adult attention and help.  I honestly haven’t had to use the debrief form.  My kids were super good!!! And my one who has difficulty was sick a lot the last week and/or I was gone.  Marzano suggested assigning a peer to catch the student up with what they missed on their break.  “Can this work in kindergarten?” is my question.

2.      Maintaining an appropriate mental set I easily see myself getting frustrated with my difficult students and I know I need to work on fixing how I react towards them.  First, I worked on how to handle disruptive/hostile behavior.  Here are some steps Marzano suggested. 1. describe the student’s behavior clearly 2. contract with them to reward behavior 3. Immediate rewards and consequences for hostile behavior 4.give them responsibilities (I’m not exactly sure what responsibilities but I can give little jobs and make him feel important throughout the day as well as distract him.)  Second, I worked on strategies for dealing with students with hyperactivity.  Marzano suggests the following ideas 1. Make a contract with student to manage behaviors 2. Teach basic concentration study and thinking skills 3. Separate student in a quiet work area 4. Help them list each step of a task 5. reward successes


I was able to take use of the quiet space to work on however sometimes I was using it more as a consequence than a choice.  They typically want to be around their peers but struggle making good choices and staying focused in those positions.  I’ve toyed with the idea of giving him 2-3 places in the room he could choose to work.  That way he has freedom to move when he feels the need.  I also found myself remembering to reward more for positive behavior and help him move up the clip it chart.  He responded well and liked the attention.  I’m glad this had a positive effect I just wish I had more time in my day to recognize all the “good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment