Saturday, December 7, 2013

Technology Plan: Implementing new technology using the Book Creator app on the iPad

So I haven’t fully implanted my technology lesson but I started the beginning stages.  After getting the Book Creator app uploaded to the iPads, I decided to give the students some informal time to explore the app.  At their center, they have to open the app and then do the following steps: 1. Add a picture 2. Add text 3. Draw something 4. Record self.  I noticed that the students were super excited to go to the center.  They all enjoyed the picture taking part.  They loved catching their peers in silly moments.  They also enjoyed the recording action.  Leaving it open ended and exploratory was a good idea and successful.  My first group needed very minimal guidance but all my sequential groups seemed unsure and asked a lot of questions.  I was nervous to start a new tech tool because I never feel I have enough time to thoroughly get the hang of it myself.  I have learned with technology that it is okay to let the students take the lead and learn from each other.  My initial way to show the app was just for that reason.  We are exploring the app together and learning new things.  One student accidentally found out how to delete something which we were not able to do the day prior.  It was excited to figure out something new.  I also tried teaching one student and then having them teach the others.  This worked very well and obviously increases their understanding of the tool.  I’m excited and still nervous how we are going to actually put the book together this week.  The app has a few downsides and can be a bit touchy which is frustrating to the students.  I am having the tech rep in our building join me in the lesson to help with the “bugs” will have along the way.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment