Sunday, January 5, 2014

CC Writer's Workshop

I am beginning a more structured writer’s workshop approach with the help of some great TPT ideas and the book Growing Up Writing: Mini-lessons for emergent and beginning writers by Connie Dierking and Sherra Jones.  
One of my first mini-lessons includes using the visual chart to explain the structure and set-up of writer’s workshop.  We will start with a short mini-whole group lesson then student’s will practice “silent writing.”  Next students will move to “independent writing” (cooperative shared writing, conferencing, etc.) and finally we will end with sharing time.  I made the students each a writing folder.  Inside I included a rubric for writing, what can I write about (see pic), a personal list of writing ideas (created at home), family words and a winter words page.  I added some fun stationary and a mini winter journal book for them to use as well.  I’m anxious to see how their writing improves this semester!


Another one of our mini-lessons included a discussion about what to write about during workshop time.  I paid for a unit on TPT which included a great visual aid that I put in their writing folder. Here is the link and resource!

1 comment:

  1. I really like this. It seems like a great way to get the writers workshops going smoothly. I alway struggled with running writers workshops well.

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete