Saturday, March 8, 2014

Trust

The idea of trust made me look and think about how I trust myself and others as well as how I show trust in my work environment.  Trust was also a common theme in both of my latest ROL’s.  In order for students in my classroom to engage in creative endeavors and feel motivation and inspiration to write, they need a trusting environment.  Just as Houston and Sokolow suggest, trust is the basis upon which everything else is built.   Vela’s principles of learning also mentioned the importance of trust in a learning environment.   In order for my students to feel trust, I need to emulate trust.  I know with my kindergarten class, I gently release trust into my students as they become more confident and comfortable in the new environment.  I try to give them lots of responsibilities and decision making opportunities throughout the year to show them that I believe in them and trust them.  

As I evaluated myself, I realized that I don’t always trust myself.  I struggle with imperfections and making mistakes.  Houston and Sokolow said that “a lot of trusting yourself is just understanding that people are all engaged in this process.  No one is going to get it right all the time.”  I need those reminders to let the little things go and to take the experience as an opportunity to learn (and not do it again)!  In addition to trusting myself, I need to trust others and the universe.  I recognize that I cannot control everything around me and that I can use the difficult things in my life to improve myself.  Reflecting and sharing with colleagues has really helped me release my frustrations as well as grow through thorough analysis and discussion.

Trust is a powerful tool that helps us lead and inspire students,  colleagues and our own selves.

No comments:

Post a Comment